If you could pick my brains on any topic...what would it be?
Game night was great...please let us know in the comments box what games you would like to play in the future.
CARDS AGAINST HUMANITY
For the Cultists first game night we are going to be playing cards against humanity on the 1st of April at 8PM GMT.
Please use the form below to register your interest in taking part. Only people who register will defiantly be able to play everyone else will be on a first come first served basis.
If in the unlikely event not enough people to play register we'll reschedule, this would be announced before the night.
Also as a side note please don't register unless you are reasonably sure that you can make it.
The game will take place in the Event Room audio channel under Community Activities.
- Don't be a bully.
- Have Fun.
- Discord rules still apply
I have always believed that you have to be in the right mood to create a decent act. Unfortunately not being in the mood will not help you to create an act nor will it pay your bills. But how do we get in the right mood?
Well to me the answer here is to be playful. You need to loosen up a bit and have a laugh. Some of the best material I have ever devised has come from being playful.
So how can we become more playful?
Surprisingly there are a few very simple things you can do to help get yourself in a more playful mood. Here is a small list:
- Smile – Smiling will put you in a better mood in minutes. Go on give it a quick try now!
- Laugh – Try watching something that makes you laugh as this will also help put you in a playful mood.
- Run – Even running on the spot will help; it releases endorphins in your brain.
- Games – Play games especially if you're with other people; tag is a fantastic one to get in that playful mood.
These are all examples of things that can help you get in the right mood. Give them a try you’d be surprised how much it changes how you feel. Make sure you warm up before any running and/or games.
Ok, so your feeling playful now; what next?
Well, I recommend asking yourself these two important questions:
- Who is your audience?
- What are they interested in?
These are things you need to know about your audience. If you don’t know who your audience is and what they are interested in how can you possibly hope to entertain them?
I want to take this moment to give this important piece of advice; don’t be afraid to try something new. As one of my teachers once said “the only bad idea is no idea” and it is so true. All ideas are worth trying. Sure it might not work out. But if you don’t try it you’ll never know. For all you know that might have been the best idea ever and you just cast it aside.
Once you know your target audience you can start to think about what they would want to get out of going to see your show. Now you need to think about this one for a while because they could have gone to any show. Why would they choose to come to see your show?
Not sure? I had the same problem when I started. I dealt with this in the same way that most in this situation do. I picked an expressive song and started to create a movement based Diabolo act. How? Experimentation! Trying different things to the music. Seeing what worked well and what didn’t work so well.
So get out there and give it a go – Go experiment!
The new year is already upon us, and god damn it's been a hell of a year. This coming year we'll be changing up and improving the stream and the discord server in all manner of ways.
Here are just a few examples::
- More regular updates on this website/blog. From here on out most major announcements will now be made through this website and simply be linked to in our Discord server and on social media.
- A monthly (possibly weekly) game night. This will be games like Cards Against Humanity...Quiplash and other Jackbox games. We are also looking into the logistics of playing other games such as bingo.
- Table Top Games in the Discord Server!
Nearer the time Lootah will add a channel to the Discord server to register your interest in playing.... get on that list early to show you're interested as places will be limited. These tabletop games will be longer and as a result, take a lot more effort for me and our tabletop volunteers to run. As a result, we'll be running these less often and treating them more as events.
- Giveaways and events involving our stream currency(tears).
- And of course...110% more Yaz!
Seriously she's gonna be in way more streams keep an eye out for her floofy hair that likes to chroma-key itself into a parallel universe where green is not used for chroma-keying.
HAIL THE CULT MOTHER!
Happy Christmas... *Ahem* Cultmas...
Awkward intros aside I hope you all have a fantastic day and easy to much food and collapse in a food coma... Much love.
Note to Self: Burn Hat!
Alright gang. I'll be away for about 5 - 7 days starting today (Friday 22nd of December) as I'll be staying with family over Christmas.
That being said I got a few notes and announcements to make.
Firstly just a bit of an FYI call while I'm away Nuffle and the High Priests are in charge. Let them know if you have any issues or concerns. If you need to get hold of me for some reason and im not around shadowking is your best bet.
I'll still be popping in and out of Discord but I won't be that active.
Now onto the thrust of this post.
After Christmas we'll be making a number of cool changes and redesigning the general structure of the stream.
We are also looking into the possibility of defining a multiplayer day where one stream a week is purely multiplayer games with viewers. Let me know if you like this idea here.
Building on that idea we are looking into running some tabletop games through Discord in the very near future and I'm currently taking to one of Yasmins friends about the logistics of that.
We have other things in the works too! It's quite exciting. I can't wait to tell you all about our other plans for the near future once I'm back at the end of the week.
These photos are almost a week old now, I did mean to post them sooner however I simply haven't had the time.
- Despite not being a huge fan of TV my favourite show is "The Big Bang Theory".
- My favourite Author is Andrew Mayne.
- When I want some space I enjoy going to the beach to relax.
- I mostly listen to music that tells some kind of a story. A good example of this would be Aurelio Voltaire - The Beast of Pirates Bay.
- I collect curiosities and oddities such as taxidermy and wet specimens.
- Spyro the Dragon is probably my favorite video game of all time Bonus One:
- I'm really bad at writing about myself.
What are some things most people probably don't know about you? Let me know in the comments below. :)
Note from Lootah: I consider this a living document that I am currently adding to and revising.
I see so many great streamers trying to grow using Twitter and simply not getting the results they deserve. So the question is, why not?
Well from what I can gather it all stems from a fundamentally flawed understanding of how social growth within Twitter works. One example is that people seem to think they should follow everyone who follows them. No. If you do this stop right now. You are missing the point of Twitter all together.
On Twitter ideally you should follow people you are genuinely interested in (or who Tweet content you are genuinely interested in). It's not Facebook. You are not "friending people", you are following their content. Of course that doesn't mean that you can't follow someone who follows you, just don't follow everyone back because you feel like it's polite or because you are afraid they might unfollow. If they are a worthwhile follower it shouldn't matter to them if you are following or not.
The number of streamers Twitter feeds that look something like this is crazy...
Going Live in five minutes! - LINK I'll be streaming some Minecraft in a minute... - LINK Get hyped folks! I'll be live in just a few minutes! - LINK
I'm gunna break something do you dude, hardly anyone cares. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying don't self promote, just don't make that 90% of your content.
Let' us see some personality.
This kinda ties into the section above
— Lootah Paytah (@LootahPaytah) December 25, 2016
When you see a beginner fire eater trying to be badass… -facepalm-
— Lootah Paytah (@LootahPaytah) July 16, 2016
Hashtags are a useful categorization tool that will help potential fans and collaborators find you. Many people new to Twitter simply don't understand how powerful hashtags used well can be. Here are a few suggestions to get you started.
#Twitch #TwitchStreamers #SupportSmallStreamers
Don't Buy Followers
Why? Why would you do this? Is it to fill your ego? Or because you naively believe that a high number of followers will get more people to follow you?
Seriously if you ignore everything else I say please take my advice on this one. It's called SOCIAL media for a reason.
Be There Because You Want to be there, not because you have to be there.
The rules have been updated and apply both in discord and at the stream.
When I first started streaming on Twitch, I struggled to gain any growth up until I made a few key observations.
Am often on Twitch even while I'm not streaming myself and I see so many streams with terrible quality audio and even worse content. I completely understand why this happens but I wish people would make a little more of an effort if they are going to stream.
Now don't get me wrong there are some FANTASTIC smaller channels out there a prime example being InsomniaInbound.
So without further ado here are a few things you can do to make you stream more watchable.
1. Insure you actually have a good enough internet connection and computer to stream with all the right settings. This goes without saying, but I've seen numerous streamers on Twitch who simply don't have the processing power to stream anything without it looking like a stop motion cartoon.
2. Consider investing in decent audio equipment. I'm not saying go all out and buy pro gear like I use, I had the money to spare. Not everyone does. Just a decent headset will do. You want to get something that at least doesn't distort your voice if you get a bit loud at times.
If you do have some extra cash and you want to go all out I recommend getting an MXL 990* along with a basic USB Mixer such as the Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer* you will want to invest in an XLR cable, pop filter and a boom arm but theses are relatively expensive. You'll also want to grab some 3.5mm jack to 6.35mm jack cables.
3. Get a face cam. Really. People want to connect with you as the streamer. If you have a laptop whatever is built in is probably fine. If you do need to invest in one from what I hear the Logitech C920* will do the trick nicely.
You could also grab a green screen to help increase your production value but thats completely optional.
4. Interact with veiwers. Seriously if you don't want to talk to people why are you on Twitch? Twitch is a social platform. Even when you have no viewers keep talking, comment on the game you are playing as the Twitch viewer count only updates about once every two minutes. That means if someone clicks on your stream and nothing is happening they will have left before you even knew they where there. If your finding it hard to be interactive due to a low veiwer count consider finding somebody to stream with.
5. Building on my previous point, remember people. I don't expect you to be able to remember everyone that ever joins your stream but please make an effort to remember everyone that stops in often.
6. Have Fun - This is my most important point. If your not having fun your veiwers wont either.
7. Give something back to the community, and support other streamers. As they say what goes around comes around.
Do you have any questions or have something else to add? Let me know in the comments box below.
*Please note these are NOT affiliate links and I don't get a commission if you choose to buy these products.
Check out these awesome interviews I did for Full Circle Magic.